Lòoks like paneer and peas are match made in heaven. The mild gravy made with onions and other spices imparts a rich taste to the cottage cheese and paneer. There are different versions of this classic recipe. Here is my version!
Serves : 4-6 persons
- Paneer / cottage cheese : 250 grams
- Green peas / Matar : 350 grams, Parboiled. *You can also thaw and use frozen peas.
- Refined oil : 3 tablespoons
- Onion : 3, large
- Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Garlic : 6-7 cloves
- Turmeric / Haldi powder : 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder : 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander / Dhania powder : 1 teaspoon
- Cumin / Jeera powder : 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala powder : 1 teaspoon
- Fresh cream : 1 tablespoon
- Salt as per taste
- Kasuri methi / Dried Fenugreek leaves : 1 teaspoon
Cut the paneer into cubes. Heat oil in a kadhai or pan and deep fry the paneer till lighr golden brown. In a bowl take 2 cups water and add half teaspoon salt. Drain excess oil from paneer and put in the salted water.
Using a mixer grinder, make a paste of 2 large onions, ginger and garlic. Heat the same pan with the leftover oil used for Frying the paneer. Add in the onion paste and fry for 2 minutes. Now add in the turmeric powder and 1 large finely sliced onion. Add in all the dried spices and salt.Mix well and cook covered for 3 minutes. Add in a little water so that the Masala does not burn. Add in the peas and cooked covered for 5-6 minutes.
Now add in required amount of water for the gravy. This gravy is basically a thick gravy so 1 cup of water should be fine. Add salt and the fried paneer cubes. Cook covered for 5 minutes. Remove from flame. Stir in the fresh cream and Kasuri methi. Mix well.
Serve hot with steamed Rice, pulao, roti or kulcha.